Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Last night was the first night of Spelling homework. I would like to bring your attention to two items regarding Spelling.
1. Every Monday night students will have Spelling homework. This will include a Word Sort and Practice page. The words used for the Word Sort are on the first page of the lesson in the text book. There are 20 words for each lesson.
2. This year we have introduced a new Spelling series called Spelling Connections. You may have noticed last night that I am trying something new with the students. On Friday I gave the class a pretest and based on the score of the pretest I have assigned a Spelling List to each student. Some of the assigned words are from the lesson list and some are from the teacher resource book. Not all students have the same Spelling List, some are similar and some have 20 different words. Please be sure your child is bringing home their list each night, they will not be able to call a friend if they forget their list and they will not be able to always go to the list in the text book.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Have a great week!
Friday, August 19, 2011
We had a GREAT first week of school! We spent some time this week looking through our text books and talking about what we will learn this year. We completed a Science experiment with the 3rd and 4th graders and read the first story in our Readers.
Next week we will begin our regular weekly routine, including our first chapter in Religion and Spelling.
I hope you are all as excited as I am :)
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Monday, August 8, 2011
One more week!I hope everyone is getting excited for the first day of school! Although summer is coming to an end we will be beginning many great adventures in the 5th and 6th grade. I have made a quick list below of some topics we will be covering.
See you Tuesday!!
- Ancient Worlds - China, Greece, Egypt, Rome
- Middle Ages - Castles, Shields, Manors, Knights
- Physical Science - Matter, Levers, Pulleys, Energy
- Life Science - Classification, Cells, Plants, Biomes
- Sacraments, Parts of the Mass